Friday, October 24, 2008

Mouse "tales"

Did you know mice like goldfish crackers & marshmallows????? Well, this particualr mouse we caught in our cold storage has a snacking problem evidently and unfortunately chose my kids favorite snacks and left my bargain boxes of cheerios (my kids least favorite cereal) untouched. One morning last week I went down to the storage to grab some stuff for breakfast and discovered some rather large holes in the marshmallow bags and goldfish! Yuck! I ran upstairs to inform DJ before he went to work and he quickly set traps and put out the trusty sticky traps on the shelves where the little creepy thing had been. Just for the record, this is the first mouse we've had in our house, that we know of) Anyway, the last thing I said before he left was, "I better not catch that thing while you're at work." (just because I think they are completely disgusting and I didn't want to have to dispose of it) Well, lunch time came and I decided I better go check to see if we'd caught anything, I opened the door slowly and there staring me right in the face was a mouse with his feet stuck to the sticky trap doing a little dance!! I seriously thought I was going to either vomit or pass out but instead I started doing my "shiver down the spine" dance" and let out a few squeels so Jordyn and Kaleb came running to check out the mouse. I didn't dare leave the thing there for fear it may fight itself loose (I know, probably wouldn't happen) but there is always a chance....not one I was willing to take. So, I called my neighbors across the street, a retired couple, and prayed that they would pick up the phone. Much to my excitement, Diane answered the phone and I proceeded to ask her if her husband is afraid of mice to which she replied, "no," just deathly afraid of spiders." I informed her of my rodent problem and told her I was willing to pay him what I would pay an exterminator if he would just come and get the mouse. He came right over and disposed of the thing and only asked for some yummy brownies in return. (I can't believe he actually still wants to eat brownies made from my house after what he's just disposed of) but, whatever.....so the next day I made him a yummy treat made from ingredients straight out of my UPSTAIRS pantry. I can't believe we actually had a mouse in the house, am I disgusting or what???? Well, it's been a week since we caught the little bugger and so far no evidence of another so we'll just wait....sticky traps and all, to see what happens.

Well, in the meantime my kids have taken it upon themselves to tease me relentlessly over this mouse adventure.....particularly, Regan, she is quite the little tease like her dad. On Monday the girls had a Birthday/Halloween party for the neighbor girl, so while they were gone I ran a few errands and when I got back they were already home so I walked in the kitchen and Regan says, "mom, hold it right there, we found a mouse" once again I started doing my little "shiver down the spine dance" as she points to the floor in the corner and there was a little black mouse. I let out a squeel and the girls all started laughing their heads off and picked up the FAKE mouse they had gotten as a parting gift from the party!!! Impeccable timing, if you ask me!

She keeps trying to scare me with things like bringing granola bar boxes up with gaping holes in them (that she's made with her finger) and sticking fake mice in sneaky places. She definetly takes after her dad!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

ick! Been there done that, our last garage had a mouse in it. The mouse got fat off of our 72 hour kit. Thankfully Shane found it living in the hood of my CAR!!! It speaks nothing of your house, they seem to be everywhere. Hope it was alone.

Cindy said...

Aren't they the most disgusting things. I've always heard, where there is one, there are 20! I'm choosing not to believe that at this time.

Greg and Wendy said...

Hilarious and well written, Cin! Regan is a "DJ II"!

Jaedon Flora said...

You are so funny Cindy! Thanks for the good laugh. By the way, having a mouse in your house is no reflection of your homemaking skills, only that you live near fields!

janna said...

LOL
I hate mice too and knock on wood have not had one in our house, yet.

& Sorry about the toy mice. My kids loved them and they were on sale.

:)

Jocelyn said...

Regan is awesome! That's hilarious!

Christie said...

Cindy,
I won't let Scott put sticky traps anywhere, cuz I refuse to find those things alive. I want them dead at any cost. Tell your kids that when they scare you like that it takes years off of your mental health, and it just moves you one more year closer to them taking care of you!!! HAHA

Lori Wilson said...

Oh my, DJ has taught them well. Regy is such a sweetie, it's hard to imagine her with a mischievious side!!! Hilarious!