Tuesday, October 28, 2008

backtracking




I'm so behind on things and since this is my journal, I need to include a few items. Last Tuesday mom came up to help me can vegetable soup. She was such a huge help and I couldn't have accomplished what I did w/out her help. We managed to can 21 bottles and only one didn't seal. HOORAY!! Mom came at around 10:30 and didn't leave until about 7:30, thanks so much mom! This is really such an easy recipe but just takes a lot of time to chop everything up to put in the bottles. I had everything in my garden to put in it besides the celery so I just couldn't afford not to do it. It's a super easy dinner when you've had a busy day so if anyone is interested in the recipe, here it is.
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. boullion
1 T. parsley
1/2 tsp. accent
pepper to taste
1/2 c. onion
1/3 c. celery
1 T. rice or barley
carrots
potatoes
Pressure cook (15 lbs pressure) for 45 minutes.

I'm happy to report that we didn't blow up the garage. I'm seriously afraid of the pressure cooker so I breath a sigh of relief when the last batch comes out. Oh, if anyone is selling, getting rid of, or sees a pressure cooker at a garage sale, let me know. I really need to get my hands on one but don't want to pay the $150 for a new one if I don't have to.

One other thing about my mom, every holiday she send the cutest care package for the kids full of goodies to cook, crafts to make, fun things for the kids to play with, etc. For Halloween, she sent everything to make cupcakes, the cutest mold for jello jigglers w/ jello pkgs, rub-on transfers for crafts. The kids had such a fun time but unfortunetly, my camera battery died in the midst of it all so I just took 1 picture. We've yet to do the jello making project so I'll post some pictures when we do it. Thanks mom and dad for the Holiday treats. I drove the kids around to some of the widows in our ward and they too took cupcakes to the door and practiced singing their primary program songs to them. They seemed to enjoy it!

3 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

My pleasure and I plan to do more canning in the future with you and Julie! Only 13 more work days to go! Yea!

Greg and Wendy said...

So glad the kids love the packages! I love doing them!

Lori Wilson said...

Mom, if you're reading this, THANK YOU so much for the awesome Halloween packages (you too, Dad!). The kids have loved it. It is one of the highlights of each holiday to anticipate opening 'Grandma's Box'. Sorry I haven't called you, I just can't seem to remember anything of any importance lately. :(