Friday, January 8, 2010

Family History Friday (How did I meet my spouse)

How did you meet your spouse?

I love this story but I have to admit, it's always funny to see the look on people's faces when we tell the story of where we met. I was living in Logan, UT, getting residency so I could attend Utah State University. It was May of 1995, and I was working at Weslo/Proform Company as a Customer Service Rep and in my spare time, dating off and on. I dated a few guys that I was interested in but mainly I was a "Venus Fly Trap for loser's" as I always told my mom. I had just broken up with a guy that I worked with at Proform and had written off dating for a while when my roommate invited me to go with her to Retrix Dance there in Logan with she and her boyfriend. The thought of being a "3rd wheel" and also the thought of trying to put on a happy face and have fun just didn't sound all that great but somehow she talked me in to it and I remember jokingly saying, "maybe I'll meet my future husband there." Well, the story starts here, DJ had just returned home from Ricks College in Rexburg and was living in Cokeville with his parents for the summer. His brothers frequently came dancing over in Logan which is about an hour and a half drive from Cokeville and he decided to come with them this same evening. I remember sitting there at Retrix with Kaycee (my roommate) and her boyfriend when I noticed this very good looking guy on the dance floor (DJ). I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched him for quite a long time and my roommate kept telling me I should go and ask him to dance. I wasn't about to that but I half jokingly said to her, "I'm going to marry that guy someday". About an hour went by and next thing I know, DJ was asking me to dance. Apparently, DJ's older brother, Tim, had spotted my roommate, (who was gorgeous), and told her she should dance with his younger brother, (DJ). She informed him that she was on a date with her boyfriend but that she had a roommate that he might want to meet. Yep, I was that roommate!! He agreed, and we spent the rest of the evening dancing and talking about everything under the sun. It was crazy how much we had in common especially having both grown up in tiny ranching communities, though Cokeville is a metropolis compared to Park Valley, UT.:) That evening, we exchanged phone numbers and I left hoping that he would by some small miracle call me during the week. I went right home and called my mom and excitedly told her that I had met the best guy ever! I went on and on about him, calling him everything from "RJ, JT, JD, for heaven's sakes, I couldn't even get his name right I was so giddy. I informed my mom that I was going to marry him and I'm sure she thought I was nuts but she acted genuinely happy and maybe hopeful that I had found someone that I liked ! Well, the phone call from DJ never came but for some reason, I ended up going to Retrix again that weekend with my friend. I saw DJ in the crowds of people and literally spent an hour hiding from him because I felt so dumb that he didn't bother calling me. He eventually caught up with me and informed me that I had only written down my address, not my phone number so he didn't have any way of getting in touch with me. Needless to say, I felt really dumb but I was so happy that we'd met up again and we spent the rest of the evening together. Before we left, I was sure to give him my phone number and we went our separate ways. Only this time, he really did call me during the week and we spent a lot of time visiting and he invited me to spend the weekend at his parent's house in Cokeville. Writing this, I can't even imagine that I actually agreed to do such a thing but I called my parents and asked what they thought about me going over there and they felt really good about it so that weekend I drove over and showed up on his parents doorstep. I later found out that his mom thought I was a chaser, in fact, I think she called me a "hussy" but actually I don't blame her. It's seriously the family joke now and I always give her a hard time about it. Anyway, his parents welcomed me in and made me feel right at home and I spent a fun weekend getting to know his family since many of them lived right in Cokeville, close to his parents. I honestly felt like I had known DJ forever and his family reminded me so much of my own. I spent every weekend I could in Cokeville with him but he came to Logan on a Saturday occasionally and we'd sometimes meet in Bear Lake which was about the half way point for both of us. My sister Lori and her husband Brad were living in Logan as well and willingly let me use their little blue car (the blue bullet) to make my trips back and forth. I put the miles on that car but they never complained. Maybe it was because they were so happy that I was not hanging out with them every weekend and now had my own life. Ha ha!! On November 4th, 2005, DJ proposed to me and we were married on the 27th of December, and to think it all started at a little Country Dance place named Retrix!!!

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, I loved reading that story again!!!! LOVED. IT!!!!!!!!

I love that Dorothy called you a hussy. Must've been that perfectly curled hair and tanorexia!! :)

DJ is so lucky and over the years I've decided you're lucky, too! Ha Ha.

Love you.

Nigbur Family said...

So cute! I love that you're a hussy!

Greg and Wendy said...

So glad you finally got this story down! As I remember, however, you told Kaycee, "Okay, I'll go! Maybe I'll meet the man of my dreams tonight!" That is what you told me! I remember it so well because I was so glad you had met someone you didn't think was "scum"! "Venus Fly Trap for Scum" was the exact phrase you had called yourself not a few days before! That broke my heart that you were feeling that way, but you had had some pretty crazy experiences with first dates before that so I knew where it was coming from!
Though you left out a few courting things I remember (haha) you did a great job on this post and I LOVED reading it! You both are very blessed to have found each other! Yea for Retrix!