Friday, September 5, 2008

Update on a few things!

I took Porter for his first Therapy visit, it went well and I think I will be able to do a lot of it at home but will see the Occupational Therapist once a week for a while. Basically, the muscle on the left side of his neck that enables you to tilt your head and move it side to side is tight therefore making it really uncomfortable for him to have it in certain positions so that's why he always has his head tilted to the side. Yesterday she showed me some easy techniques to help work that muscle such as giving him lots of tummy time which automatically makes him use his neck muscles, simple holds to do that force him to turn his head the other way, propping his head up in the carseat so he can't lean it to the side, etc. Some of them are no brainers that I was already doing since I'd suspected a problem. He was pretty good during the appointment but seemed sore and a bit cranky in the afternoon but I could already see improvement so I'm feeling good about things.

Jordyn's first day at preschool was lots of fun! She came home so excited to tell me that she had introduced herself to the other girls in the class, I'm not sure she was too thrilled about the boys. She also came home with homework which she was anxious to do....sure wish that excitement about homework would stick around! Just seeing her so excited made all the time and effort I will put in to the lessons, worth it!

Jordyn, Kaleb, and I spent the morning in the garden picking a bunch of vegetabled. Kaleb was helping me dig red potatoes and was so excited when we came upon a "hoog big one" (kaleb language) I had to take a picture because it's the biggest one we've ever grown. Our corn was also a success this year unlike most years when the bugs eat it all first. I love this time of year when we make dinners mainly from the garden. Last night we made tin foil dinners and put potatoes, carrots, beans, squash, onions, and a hamburger patty. Maybe I ought to think about getting a cow in the backyard! Anyway, I cooked them on the grill and they turned out YUMMY and the best part was the easy cleanup.


The girls both had their first soccer games last week but I failed to take my camera so Regan played her 2nd game last night and Morgan will have hers tomorrow so I will have more on that to come. They are both having a lot of fun and both are really good players. DJ and I had a ball watching Regan play last night because all the sudden she decided to be agressive and really hussled which turned in to 2 great assists. Morgan cracks us up because she's not super aggressive but when she puts her mind to it she does such a great job. She loves being on the same team with her friends and can often be found doing her friends hair while playing defender. Pretty hilarious and typical of a 6 year old in soccer. Hopefully I'll get some good pics of the both the girls.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

You seriously amaze me! You're so on top of it. Great job!

janna said...

I don't mind if you want to get a cow in your backyard..... neighbor

the potato is huge

& I am glad Porter is getting the help he needs

Lori Wilson said...

I'm so glad everything is going well with Porter. It's so much better to be proactive when you know something isn't right. Thankfully it sounds like it's going to be just a minor bump in the road.

Your garden veggies and BEAUTIFUL! Wow! I especially loved the "hoog, big" potato. That's really rewarding. I know what you mean about eating straight out of the garden. You can feel the grocery budget sighing a 'hoog' sigh of relief. :)

Lori Wilson said...

Okay, so I meant to type "Your garden veggies ARE beautiful" -- whatever. :)

Greg and Wendy said...

How fun to see your garden produce and to see your kids enjoying it! I loved Kaleb's "hoog potato" description. What a great kid! It was also fun to hear of Jordyn's school adventures and Regan and Morgan's soccer play. We'd love to see a game sometime--let us know.
Finally, I'm so glad that Porter is responding so well to the physical therapy. He is such a mellow little guy.
Love you all,
Dad

Greg and Wendy said...

Amen on the grocery bill comment, Lor! I love this time of the year!! Cindy, your garden produce is amazing! It's so fun to see the kids so excited. Does it bring back lots of memories?
Love, Mom

Greg and Wendy said...

So glad Porter is already responding. Love that little "Porter-Pie"! (Isn't he going to love us for that nickname someday?) Give all the kids hugs and kisses for us!
Love, Mom