Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bad parenting moment!

I'm ashamed of myself! I got Morgan in bed way too late tonight (she requires a lot more sleep than any of our kids) She typically falls asleep very fast and never gives us any grief about going to bed but she was overtired and, I guess, needed a little TLC! She kept coming up the stairs crying and begging to sleep upstairs or have me lay with her but DJ and I were putting up more corn and taking care of babies so I kept taking her back down and telling her to, GO TO SLEEP! (in my not so patient voice) At 9:15, 45 minutes later, Morgan is still not asleep so march downstairs and tell her she's going to get a spanking if she doesn't shut her eyes and go to sleep. I went back upstairs and then had a wave of guilt rush over me so I headed back down to lay with her and, of course, she was out within 2 minutes. Why didn't I do that in the first place and save myself a lot of frustration and she would've been to sleep 45 minutes early! Sometimes I'm so ashamed of myself for having so little patience. Hopefully tomorrow I'll do better!

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Welcome to my life, every day! I pray for increased patience each and every evening so that I can face the day with Savannah a little bit better. She's so cute, and I love her so much, she's just trying my patience! This just means that you're normal and human!

Christie said...

Cind,
Don't beat yourself up over stuff. We are just moms doing our best. Now that the kids are all but gone, I think of all the horrible parenting moments I had and wish I could go back, but then I stop and think, I did the best I could at that moment. Remember you are giving them a loving enviroment to grow up in and they will be just fine. Fortunatly they forget some of these things and forgive you for the rest. You're the best, you are auctually my hero, wish you would of been older than me and I would pattern after you. Just take a deep breath and know that all is well. Love ya tons and tons, Aunt Chris

Greg and Wendy said...

I promise you there isn't a mom out there that doesn't have many moments of regret just like you've expressed. I have many, many, many--and plenty in regards to our handling of you as a child! And look how wonderful you turned out in spite of us! Amen to what Christie said because you are my hero, too! Thanks for forgiving us so many times and loving us in spite of our lack of patience. You are living proof that Morgan as well as the other kids will turn out fine! The spirit is present in your home and Dad and I always feel it. Love you lots!

Lori Wilson said...

You're amazing and your kids know it even now. I'm so glad you went to lay with her because that's all she'll remember.

Jaedon Flora said...

Thanks for making us all feel human. You are not the only one who is learning how to be a parent! I think you are amazing. Love you.