Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hard lesson learned

I'm without a digital camera now because Morgan was fiddling around with mine and accidently dropped it on our tile floor. I had asked her a couple of times to please put it down but instead she kept playing with it and sure enough, just what I thought would happen, did......she dropped it right on the lens. I really amazed myself at how calm I stayed about the whole thing and I'm sure glad I did because Morgan was miserable enough as it was. She sat in a closet for quite a while and sobbed until she was exhausted and then went to find her piggy bank which had all of $3.00 in it... so she could pay me. She proceeded to tell me that she was really disappointed in herself because she'd actually had a lesson on "obedience" that day in primary. She had made a little "I will obey" sign and as soon as she got home she hung it on her mirror. I think that sign was staring her in the face and just pouring salt in the wound. Poor little girl! Don't get me wrong, I was pretty upset but I decided to have a "good parenting moment" as opposed to my MANY "bad parenting moments" so I had long talk on obedience with her and then we decided that since she didn't have enough money in her piggy bank to pay for the camera she should have to do extra jobs to work off her debt to us. It's only been two days but she is sticking to her word and I am now searching for a nice digital camera. I get it now when people say the ache when their kids make bad choices because I felt so rotten watching her be so disappointed in herself but I'm hoping that she learned a lesson!!

Jordyn has had tough luck the past couple of days.....Saturday she slipped while getting down from the cupboard and caught her mouth on the cabinet on the way down and ripped that piece of skin that connects from your gums to the inside top of your upper lip. (I know, poor description) but I don't know what it's called. Anyway, it ripped apart and left a lovely piece of skin hanging down. She was in quite a bit of pain for a couple of days but she's just happy that she doesn't have to get stiches. Today she came to tell me that her toe was sore so I took a look at it and I couldn't believe it...her big toe was twice the size of her other big toe and full of infection. So, we soaked it in Epsom salt, bandaged it along with a bunch of neosporin and hopefully things will look better tomorrow. She keeps telling me that this is her worst life ever!! Boy, if that doesn't make me feel bad.

On a more positive note, I finally finished putting up pears on Saturday. DJ's parents came to visit for a couple of days and helped me put the rest up. They are such troopers and worked so hard for two days. I think I ended up with over 50 bottles of pears when all was said and done. Yippee!! I must be wierd but I get so excited when I see full bottles on storage room shelves! Thanks to DJ's parents, I couldn't have done it without you.

6 comments:

Christie said...

Cindy,
If only that was the biggest mistake she will ever make. It seems like the older they get the more empathy you have when they make those mistakes. You just want to make it all better, unfortunatly the Lord is the only one that can do that. Raising kids is the hardest thing I have ever done, and it really never ends. I just hope somewhere along the way I can breath and sleep at night, probably not for a few years. You're a good mom, just keep it up. Sorry about the camera, wish I had a spare to borrow you. I'll ask the girls if they are using theirs right now, can't miss out on pictures of the twins. By the way, the stuff from my closet would of fit you twice, remember you are an itty, bitty and I'm a fatty, patty. I'll keep it in mind when I clean Chrystal and Whits closet, thats more your size. Love ya

Greg and Wendy said...

First of all...I LOVE your new picture of the kids on your sideboard! I shed a few tears as we talked on the phone about this little situation. As a parent you really do just want to take the pain away and make it all better. But little experiences like this will be indelibly imprinted on her brain and in her heart because she is such a sensitive little thing. These are great experiences to have before you are baptized. As Dad and I talked about it, we are amazed that she was SO devastated by it. She has a keen little conscience that will serve her well through her life. Anyway, you and DJ handled it all beautifully. Any luck in your new camera search yet?

Lori Wilson said...

Cin, thank you so much for being such a great example for me. I swear, I come completely unglued about the dumbest mistakes my kids make. You've made me realize how important it is for them to feel remorse about what they did wrong vs. remorse that Mom is ticked off. You are an awesome mom! I hope you find a good camera for an even better price. Love ya!

Nigbur Family said...

Your blog is soooo cute! You are a blogging fool! Where the heck do you find all your time?!? I loved reading all your posts! Your kids are stinkin'cute and I am so glad we have been able to stay in touch! This little piece on Morgan is heart wrenching. What a little angel!

Camille Winter said...

Hey Cindy! It's Camille "Sponenburgh" now Winter... I came to your blog from Julies and I have to tell you that you have a beautiful family! How fun that you have twins.... My husband is a twin and I must say that they are still best friends to this very day!!! It's great to have so many kids to grow up together!!! Anyhow, I had to say hello and I also thought that I would tell you that my sister in law Andrea is selling a "fancy" very nice camera. She just upgraded and this one is very nice. Check out her blog, she posted about it... www.andreaspon.com It's worth looking at....
Well, I am glad to see that you are doing so well. I haven't seen you forever and it's so fun to check out your blog and see what's been going on!!!

The Florida Roses said...

OK I feel like I was just reading the Friend magazine! That is so sweet that Morgan went and got money from her own bank! You are such a great mom and that is such a memorable experience, sorry that it was at the expense of your camera!

Love ya and miss ya!