Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nothing short of a miracle!


My new babysitter (beggers can't be choosy)

This is what Kaleb thinks of canning!

The first batch of peaches, not the most beautiful but pretty tasty!

"Have I bit off more than I can chew?" "Probably"
I can't believe it, I actually have all 4 kids down for naps at the same time! (a miracle) Please, give me a hand while reading this because I think I deserve it!!! I know there are a million and one things that I should be doing right now but I need to record a few things before they leave my VERY SHORT term memory.

Yesterday I spent the morning canning peaches....I came upon a great deal on fruit through a lady that I serve with on the Stake Primary Board. She has a daughter who lives in Nampa...she goes to visit her this time of year to pick up fruit for a bunch of family members. Okay, so I'm not family but she was nice enough to pick me some up. Peaches were $12.50 per half bushel, pears were $9.00/half bushel! Great price and beautiful fruit. I only got one box of peaches because I still have a bunch in storage but I got 4 boxes of pears....I'm waiting for them to ripen and hoping that they don't all ripen at once! YIKES!!! Anyway, I got started at around 8:30 and finally cleaned up at 12:30 and I only canned 10 quarts. Well, we ate a lot while in the process, that's half the fun and we had to throw a few rotten ones out along the way, and I stuffed the bottles full so as to conserve bottles for all the pears I will be doing. You might be wondering if it was worth all the work, my answer is YES! My kitchen was a complete disaster, kids were still in pajamas at 1:00, I was a messy disaster but I canned from start to finish by myself which is a major accomplishment for me and we have 10 more bottles on the shelf of yummy fruit. The best part of the day was that Kamryn slept all morning, woke up just as I was cleaning up and then Porter slept all afternoon, I feel fortunate if I only have to deal with one. Porter was so cooperative while I ran in and out of the house, he just sat in his bouncy chair smiling and talking to me... I can't say the same about Kaleb, he was only happy when his mouth was full of peaches, and he was a royal pain in the behind for about an hour and then I guess he finally decided that I wasn't going to stop what I was doing so he better get over it. Little does he know, the canning adventures have only just begun...pears will be most likely be ready Wednesday!

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Way to go! You motivated me yesterday enough that I did the corn and tomatoes all by myself instead of waiting for Stanton to get home. Glad I did. The night ended up going straight out the window, as it usually does!

The Florida Roses said...

HOW DO YOU DO IT???!!! YOU AMAZE ME! I wish we lived closer so you could teach me all these domestic skills that I wish I had after reading all your blogs! I miss ya and love ya Cind!

Greg and Wendy said...

Can I tell you how much I love the pictures you post? Kiss my babies (all of them!) Hey, the peaches look beautiful! Good job on ALL fronts, hon! You're the best!

Greg and Wendy said...

I forgot to mention that it looks like Jordy is stepping right up to the babysitter duties! I love the look of glee on her face. Such a cutie! I don't know how long she lasted there but she was surely having a great time!

Christie said...

Cindy my dear, if only you lived closer, I would just love to scoop those kids up and head for somewhere other than your kitchen. You're a trooper!!! Just think how fun it will be when they are 16... NOT!!!! HAHA Then the sleepless nights are for other reasons. Love ya tons

Lori Wilson said...

WOW. Another example of your incredible multi-tasking skills. I think most people (and by that I mean me!) would have totally taken the next two years off from anything except babies. You are AWESOME!!!!! :)