Friday, February 19, 2010

A very long, random post

I've been such a blogging slacker lately partly in due to my spending every free second in one kind of doctors office or another. So, I guess today is catch up day. This is libal to be lengthy and boring to most all of you but for me, it's history, (in no particular order).
---
A couple of weeks ago I took the 4 kids up to the BYU Idaho campus for the funnest show, The Peking Acrobats. This was one amazing show and the kids were awe struck at the stunts these people performed. If you ever get a chance to see this show, DO IT, it was well worth the money paid. One of the perks of DJ working at the college is highly discounted tickets for usually awesome entertainment and this was one of them! I didn't bother taking my camera to the event because they don't allow any pictures taken during the performance so you'll just have to go and see for yourself. After being completely entertained for 2 hours, we headed for home but made a stop at the grocery store for a box of ice cream sandwiches which the kids devoured in nothing flat. Probably not the healthiest choice of snacks for 10:30 p.m. but they were thrilled!
-----
We celebrated DJ's 37th B-Day on Wednesday and, as usual, the kids made a big fuss over him. They made a big candy card on poster board, helped me make a special dinner, and made sure to sing "Happy Birthday" multiple times that day. Morgan and Regan even bought DJ more candy with their piano reward money from their teacher which they get every week for practicing hard. Now that's real love if you ask me!

Every year I spend with DJ, I love him more. He really amazes me at the things he accomplishes and his drive to do just about anything he puts his mind to. He works hard for our family and always makes sure we have the things we need. He's funny, smart, serious, trustworthy, dedicated, hardworking, practical, etc. He loves to lay tile and is amazing at laying it out just perfect. His first attempt was 8 years ago when we built our home and I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. I kept asking him if he should get some help or just hire it out but he wouldn't hear of it and just figured it out on his own. Since then he's had so many opportunities both paid and unpaid to use this skill and it's honestly something he LOVES to do and is willing to help anyone with. It seriously amazes me how he can lay everything out in his mind and then actually have it work out. The one funny thing about DJ is that he'll work on a tile project almost non-stop until it's done. He rarely takes food or sleep breaks but doesn't ever complain. He's just in the zone and doesn't want to be bothered with breaks. Anyway, I wish I would be better about taking pictures of his projects but it seems I always remember after the fact. Another thing I love about my hubby is he's easy to please. He doesn't spend hardly any money on himself, in fact, I tease him that he rarely even buys himself a pack of gum. It's like pulling teeth to try to get him to buy a piece of clothing for himself, he's just happy with the shirt on his back but he's always happy to take me and the kids shopping if we need something. He's diligent in his calling, his work, and his responsibilities here at home. He always makes sure we start our day off with scripture study and when he's home, he reads the Book of Mormon readers to the kids at night before bed and sings primary songs with them. He works right along side me and the kids doing the dishes each night, even when I tell him it's THEIR dish night, he still wants to help them and believe me, they don't complain. I love you, DJ, and I fell blessed to be married to you. Thanks also to your mom and and dad for raising such a wonderful son!
This is DJ's favorite trick to do with our kids. He's even tried it with me and with a bit of jumping help from me, he can do it. He can't even lay on the floor without the babies climbing all over him begging him to do lift them up.

---
Valentine's Day was great! I love surprising the family with a fun breakfast decorated with pink, red, and white paper goods, balloons, goodies, and this year Regan begged me to let her help. I fifure she's getting old enough so I took her shopping with me for everything. The next morning she got up early to help me make French toast with syrup and pink whip cream, heart shaped sausages, strawberries, and treats and everyone's plates. I think the kids had fun and I loved having Regan be my little helper!
---
Okay, recently I had to let go of two items that have been around since I was a sophmore in High school. I'm kind of a practical person I guess, yes, I do love new shirts, but I also have clothes in my closet that I still wear even though they're out of style, a bit shredded on the bottom, a bit dingy, you get the idea. Well, I went shopping at the mall to buy the kids a good pair of ski gloves from this ski store that is closing. I happened upon this coat that was regularly $200.00 marked down to $49.00. Now I normally don't just spend, $49.00 on myself but considering I've been sporting the same coat for 17+ years, I figured it was about time to get a new one. My kids later let me know that they are glad I finally got rid of my purple coat, they apparently don't think mom's should wear purple coats. But, mom and dad, I just want you to know that your money was well spent on that beautiful purple Columbia coat, but it will soon have another home thanks to the DI. Unless I have any takers!:)

Item #2 I had to part with this week. This black beauty was given to me in High School also by my parents. It's been a good friend & provided me with countless hours of music, but it decided to check out for good this week. If I'm being honest, there have been a few times that I've wanted to part with it and replace it with something MUCH smaller like an Ipod docking station or an under the cabinet unit but I just couldn't throw this out because it was still working. Well, it finally died so I cleared it out along with the two very large speakers that went beside it. You can't believe the kitchen cabinet space that thing took up. Can't say I'm really missing it except the lack of music out in the kitchen, but for right now, ITunes blasting from the computer room will have to do.
--
I've been meaning to post a few more pictures of the girls at the Monster Concert so I have to stick those in on this very random post.
What a cute bunch of girls!
-----
The babies have been little handfuls lately. They spend most days climbing on the bar & table, playing in the toilet, getting in to the kids stuff, ripping all of DJ's important papers, emptying out all my drawers.... you get the idea. I used think twins as tiny babies were the hardest but I've decided that between 18 months and 3 years is definitely harder. But, somehow amongst the craziness we manage to have some fun with the little stinkers. Kamryn is our little dancing queen! Whenever music is on, she's dancing and twirling around on her tippy toes with a big grin on her face. She's also the only 20 month old I've ever known that can chew gum responsibly. She's the biggest tease which I'm sure learned that from her dad. She loves to take a toy away from Porter just to get a reaction and when he starts to squeal, she'll give him the biggest grin and start running the other direction. She loves to give kisses, loves to squeal, and throws her share of loud obnoxious temper tantrums. Porter is known for his funny clicking noise he makes when he wants a sweet snack. He doesn't talk too much yet so he'll stand by the pantry door making this hilarious clicking noise until he gets someones attention. He loves to see how high he can jump, LOVES sweets of any kind, has a contagious grin, he's loveable, whiny, and also good at throwing temper tantrums. Needless to say, the tone in our house is LOUD!
-----
The other day when I was feeling especially old and tired, Regan informed that I'm getting wrinkles around my eyes. Sad but definetly true!
----
Kaleb is still obsessed with anything cowboy! He loves his chaps Grandpa and Grandma Rose gave him for his B-Day, loves his boots, and loves his cap gun. The other day I was on the phone and he came running up to me saying, "mom, you've got to get off the phone now, my gun just shot fire out."
------
I love moments like these!
And...I just love this picture!
She's growing up (and I'm growing old) Love this kid!

6 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

Your family is so cute, but 6 kids sounds wild! I'm strung out with only two. Do you guys remeber Sister Hall? When she transferred to Mackay she actually knew how to pronounce my last name becuase she thinks Bishop Teichert from Idaho Falls is the best one ever! She was here 8 months and just went home 2 weeks ago, and the whole time she talked about how great The Teichert's are, starting with DJ. He must be one heck of a bishop!

Nigbur Family said...

I loved reading that post! Happy belated bday to DJ and he did an awesome job on our tile!

Greg and Wendy said...

I hope you know how much I look forward to your posts. DJ did such a wonderful job on our tile! Honestly, it is one of my favorite things about our home. Love your breakfast idea for holidays. Regan is getting so grown up and just loves to help with everything, doesn't she? She is such a lovely, helpful child! Love that girl (and all the kids)! I'm so excited to be with the girls all next week! Regarding DJ, he is a prize! You could not have married anyone more devoted to you and his family. He is perfect for you. We actually wrote a note to John and Dorothy last week expressing our gratitude.

Brooke said...

You guys are all so cute! DJ is awesome and so are you. The kids are lucky to have such great, loving parents. I totally agree with your comments about the twins, wholeheartedly! Also, I totally had the same stereo, mine died after being moved a few too many times. I really wish we lived closer to each other, the kids would have fun and you and I could commiserate over so many things! :)

Jocelyn said...

I want to see a picture of your new coat!!! And I really can't believe you finally retired that huge ol' radio. I have fond memories of Celine Dion and Diamond Rio blasting out of that thing. Now to find an iPod dock!

Happy Birthday, D.

Love you all.

Christie said...

Way to go Cind!!! You deserve a new coat. If you weren't so tiny I'd offer a few of my gently used coats, cause Scott loves to buy me coats, it is his favorite thing to buy. You and that coat remind me of Scott and his coat. A few years ago the kids said mom, dads coat is embarrasing, get him a new coat. I said ok, but he won't like it. Well when he opened it up he looked at it and said huh, nice coat , but what the h---- do I need a new coat for, I have a good coat. I love his practical side, love ya Cind, you're very selfless.