Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The more money you make....the more money you spend!

The old saying IS true, although, in my case, it just happens to be all on medical stuff these days. I'm not complaining though, I'm actually thanking my lucky stars for a few extra bucks because if not, we'd be dead in the water. Has anyone else ever totally depleted their flex spending account in February??? Well, that would be us and here's why...

1. Morgan got braces in January, something we weren't really planning on.
2. I got a crown on one of my teeth, also not planned
3. While the dentist was doing the crown, he noticed a small cavity on the tooth behind it, he told me it shouldn't be a big deal and that he'd take care of it when I came for my permanent crown. Well, turns out, it was a huge cavity, I needed a root canal, and yes, another crown. While lying in the dental chair, instead of seeing stars, all I could see were dollar signs.
4. That same afternoon I took Jordyn to see an Ear Nose Throat doctor here in town. She snores, gets sick pretty often, has terrible breath, and stops breathing in her sleep. He said her tonsils are a 3 on a scale from 1-4 so she will need to have them out pretty soon. I left the doctor's office chuckling to myself and seeing more dollar signs floating in the sky.
5. Sunday afternoon, Kaleb came down with a nasty sickness, had a high fever, bad cough, and generally miserable. DJ ran him to Community Care and it turns out, he has Tonsillitis which causes me to wonder if he needs his tonsils removed. I haven't confirmed that one yet but after thinking back at my conversation with the ENT, he seems like a perfect candidate.
6. Regan's eye's have been bugging her lately, she says she sees double sometimes. She also seems to strain her eyes and do all kinds of funky things with them quite often. Sorry, can't really explain that one but I have this feeling that I should get her eyes checked really soon.
7. Went yesterday to get my root canal, and by the way, those are not any fun. Things were going okay until my dentist said, "Cindy, I have some bad news for you." (never something you want to hear while sitting in the dental chair, or anywhere for that matter) While trying to clean the roots out, a piece of the file he was using broke off up there which would require an Endodontist to complete the root canal. So, I went there this morning at 8 a.m., it took 45 minutes to remove the tip of the file and then another 45 minutes for the root canal. The whole right side of my face was numb and after the numbness wore off, I couldn't open my mouth very wide. That alarmed me for a couple of reasons, number one is obvious, number two being that I was scheduled to go back to my dentist for the crown prep this afternoon and I wondered if I would even be able to open wide enough. By 3:00, I could open pretty well so my dentist was able to finish things up. I might add that I love this dentist! He does do great work and has a great bedside manner and his office staff is amazing! If you are looking for a good dentist in Idaho Falls, Channing Way Dental is the place!

So, this is how I've started off 2010! I can hardly wait to see what the year brings!! I was thinking the other day about the trip DJ and I have planned to Hawaii coming up in just 2 weeks. I'm thinking that instead of us enjoying all the fantastic attractions, Scuba diving, eating out, boat rides, etc., I may just be sitting in my hotel room admiring my beautiful Porcelain crowns in the mirror. (ha ha)

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Last year we were done with our flex by March so I feel your pain! Two of my kids have had their tonsils out and it has made a HUGE difference!!! I know its pricey but worth it. Also, for Regan eyes, I don't know if you have seen Todd Birch but he is absolutely excellent.

One other thing---when we went to Hawaii a few years ago we didn't do as much as we wanted to because everything is so expensive there but I total regret it. I don't know when we will get to go back. Make a list and prioritize what is really important for you do, maybe that will help you.

Nigbur Family said...

I know how you feel about spending the money. Except ours isn't on health issues it's on business. Hang in there. My opinio is things have to eventually get better right?! I didn't know you guys are going to Hawaii ! Good for you! You guys deserve it more than anyone I know! I hope you have a fantastic time!

Lindsay said...

oh wow! That is stressful! Good thing you have a trip to Hawaii coming up. How fun!

Greg and Wendy said...

I have heard all of this story in bits and pieces but I must say it was pretty funny reading it all together. So glad you recorded it...and it definitely is true that the more you make, the more you spend! There is always somewhere for the money to go with a family! I love tktracy's advice for you, however. Take it! You're going to have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

Jenelle said...

I feel you pain in so many ways! Every time John gets a little overtime we know there is something right around the corner that is going to hit us. Heaven Forbid we actually get to put a little Extra away in savings!!

Seth and Natalie said...

Holy cow, could more things go wrong? If they do, I just hope they aren't expensive ones. It just seems like when it rains it pours. have fun in Hawaii, I visited my sister at BYU-Hawaii 8 years ago and loved it. I'll probably never go back because I can't imagine Seth in shorts. So post tons of pics!

Brooke said...

Ick! What a year already! I hope that you have a great time in Hawaii and that you get to have a little fun before heading back to reality! :)

Seth and Natalie said...

I forgot to tell you that my camera is a Canon powershot sx20IS. I really like it a lot. It's fancy enough that it takes great pictures, but not too complicated. Seth looked back through your old posts last night and really appreciated your wedding one. He was excited about recognizing DJ's family. We should come visit sometime, and you are definitely invited out here, it would be so fun with all your little ones!

Lyd Stew said...

Glad you stumbled across my cooking blog! I have fun, but I'm sure you or anyone could improve on what I make! :) Glad you're enjoying some recipes though! Isn't it a small world! You sure have cute kids!

Jaedon Flora said...

Cindy - I am the worst friend EVER! I have been missing you so much and now I wished I would have called you. Love you tons. What can I DO??