Monday, November 2, 2009

Everything Halloween!

I must admit, I've never been that excited for Halloween. In fact, in years past, I really kind of lothed the holiday. The thought of finding costumes for 6 children just made me tired and a bit irritated and I begrudgingly made the ghostly sugar cookies and bought Halloween candy muttering under my breath how expensive a few pieces of candy are. Okay, now that I've made myself look like a total grump, I'll try to redeem myself. I'm not sure what changed this year, but I was just plain excited for everything from the costumes, the candy, the fun Halloween meals, the trunk-or-treat, the sugar cookie making, pumpkin carving, etc. The girls came up with their costume ideas on their own and all looked hilarious, adorable, and, well, tough. (you'll see what I mean later) I even dressed up this year. My kids have begged me every year for too many years and I've always turned them down, but not this year. I borrowed my sisters Witch costume and the kids couldn't even wait for me to put it on. In fact, Morgan was in the bedroom with me helping me assemble the outfit. The eyelashes were the icing on the cake. The kids couldn't stop staring at me! It was just so much fun to see them be so excited!
Kaleb, the fireman. I kept trying to get him to sing a little George Strait, "They call me the fireman, that's my name" He didn't think I was very funny!
Regan, the mad scientist. She loved ratting her hair and filling it with baby powder and glitter. And, she loved destroying a pair of dollar store glasses and taping them up with bandaids and such.
Morgan came up with this idea on her own so we borrowed my friends kids uniform. It fit her perfect. She decided by the end of the night that carrying around all that equipment on her back wasn't all that fun. I guess we can't count on her being our football star. (j/k)

Jordyn and her neighbor friend were twin babies. How easy is that?? I was thrilled when she came up with the idea and she looked adorable!


Porter and Kamryn, Ketchup and mustard babies. I thought these would be adorable costumes but I don't sew a darn thing so a cute lady in my ward offered to sew them. They didn't seem to mind the costumes other than the hats, of course, the only part I did make. Oh well, I think they look so cute.

Next year maybe we'll get DJ to dress up. If I can get all the kids and DJ to go along, I think we'll all be nerds.
I took the kids to Malalueca to trick-or-treat again this year. It's an amazing production from the decorations to the candy, to the costumes. The kids had so much fun and came away with way too much candy.
Last Monday we had our annual pumpkin carving party. We invited 2 cute girls in our ward, their mother recently died of cancer, I posted about her about a month ago. Anyway, the kids had so much fun. Kaleb enjoyed stabbing his warty pumpkin over and over and put the finishing touches on with the candly sticking out the eye space.

Morgan chose a pretty intricate bat design, Regan chose a spooky pumpkin face with firey eyes, and Jordyn chose a cute and simple face and did it all herself. I'm finding the older the kids get, the more fun it is to do projects like this. I love that all of them could help in some way which always makes it more enjoyable. I love my family!
Each Holiday my mom puts together the cutest packages for the kids. She sent up the cutest Halloween package with hair stuff, window stickers, muffin mixes, disposable muffin cups and liners, and Halloween cups and napkins. The next morning we had a fun Halloween breakfast. Thanks mom! Earlier in the week, I made a Halloween dinner and borrowed my neighbor, Kara's cutest dinnerware and decorations. I have nothing cute and fancy like that so it was sweet of her to share. The kids thought the chicken nuggets looked like skeleton faces, the fries were the fingers, ketchup and red punch for the blood. It was a yummy dinner and kids were thrilled.
I'm kicking myself because I took a picture of the breakfast but it didn't turn out so I only have a picture of the dinner.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have been waiting for this post all stinking day!!!! You all looked amazing!

I especially love Regan & Morgan's costumes! How totally fun!

Greg and Wendy said...

It was so fun to be able to come and see the kids in their costumes and their excitement over their "witch mom"! You are definitely the beautiful witch of the North! Loved the kids pumpkins! I have so many fun memories of pumpkin carving which does, indeed, get more fun as the kids get older!

Greg and Wendy said...

We still can't get over our little MUSTARD and KETCHUP bottles! They were so darn cute and such an original idea! Kami was a pretty good sport considering how miserable she was feeling.

Christie said...

Just one question, how do you do it all!!! You're amazing and the kids are darling!!! Love ya tons!!!

Lori Wilson said...

Your kids are SO fun and creative. I loved all the costumes. The ketchup/mustard idea is HILARIOUS!!! So darn cute! I loved reading everything on your blog. You are so amazing. :) Love you!