Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hmmm..do you think we need to get out more?

I can't even do this story justice but I will attempt. I took DJ's mom to the mall for some shopping the other day and Jordyn decided she'd tag along. By the way, I can't stand the mall so I rarely go there except for the occasional trip to Old Navy. We were looking for a Homecoming dress for my niece, Katelyn, so we decided to go to Dillard's. Junior department happens to be upstairs which means a ride on the escalator. I proceed to point at the escalator telling Jordyn we get to ride on it and she's giving me this look like, "what the heck is that thing?" But, she seems genuinely excited and borderline, giddy. We started going up the thing and she's giggling uncontrollably w/ just a tad of nervousness in her voice but seriously excited about her new adventure. Just then it dawns on me that this poor child has actually never ridden on an escalator, at least not that she could remember. We reached the top and all she could focus on was the ride down, she could have cared less about the shopping and kept asking when we could go on the fun ride again. I'm thinking, "who needs Disney Land when you've got the Grand Teton Mall escalator?" Yep, it's official, we really, REALLY, need to get out more!

One more funny side note, Jordyn got the giggles several times while walking through the mall. Something about all the weird styles of clothes tickled her funny bone. One store had the goofiest looking clothes on the mannequin, Jordyn wondered why they were dressed like airplane pilots. (I thought they resembled Amelia Earhart clothing except that instead of long pants, they were bum cheek showing shorts.) Who really wears this kind of thing?? She also wondered who would want to shop in a dark store where you couldn't even see the clothes. (I think that was Hollister) Anyway, I think our next family vacation just may be the mall!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

That's funny! I can't believe you don't get out more. It's so fun to haul a litter of kids around wherever you go... :)

Brooke said...

By the way, to comment on your question for me...earplugs, that's the only thing that helps the screaming. And, since they are not practical during the day I just go more and more deaf every day. The babies love to have screaming matches, just for fun. I think my neighbors think I beat my children, but really it's just the fact that we have amazing accoustics in our house!

Greg and Wendy said...

Thanks for starting my day with a good chuckle! With styles as they are (really, who DOES wear these things?) you could have a pretty cheap vacation at the mall and a lot of laughs!

Jordy just puts a grin on my face every time I think of her. I ADORE HER!!!!!

Christie said...

Oh my she is a funny little girl. I think your days of staying away from the mall are pretty short lived Cind, 4 girls coming into teenage years, I'm going to bet that you might spend some time there in the next 10 years of your life, so just be glad you got to stay away for the first 10. Oh and I hate Hollister to Jord, as do my girls, Whit always says you have to be a size 00 to wear there clothes and I can't hear what my girls are telling me cuz the music is so loud, and it smells so much like there perfume that I get a headache!!! We always laugh if we take Scott in there, cuz he has some comment that makes us laugh!!! Funny stuff!!!

Nigbur Family said...

That is tooooo funny! Kylie, unfortuanately is way too familiar with the mall. She too loves the escalator and whenever we go, we park at Dillards specifically to make a trip up and down the dang thing.

Natie said...

I have to agree that the mall is not my favorite place. I just end up being stressed and with a headache. We only go when absolutely necessary. Ellie rode an escalator in August and reacted the same way. It was so cute. She loves elevators, too. Life as a child is so good. I wish that I could appreciate the simple little things as much as a child does. Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

Lori Wilson said...

LOVE that girl. She and Lily both have magical little brains!!!