Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Heaven on Earth!

Today, DJ and I had the opportunity to be in attendance at the temple with a sweet sister in our ward going through for her first time, she was also able to be sealed to her husband and two beautiful daughters for time and all eternity. This is a unique situation though, this dear sister has been fighting cancer for upwards of 10 years now and has been extremely sick for the past year. She set yesterday as the day to go through the temple and then a couple of weeks ago, she took a turn for the worse, she struggled to even sit up and speak. On Sunday, our ward had a special Fast for her that she would be able to make it to the temple as she had planned. Heavenly Father really does hear and answer prayers, she was there with a smile on her face, looking stronger than she had looked in days. I couldn't control my emotions for the entire 3 hours we were there, it was just so amazing to witness this occasion with so many of her family members and ward family members. I think one of the sweetest things was to watch her mother tend to her every need, making sure that everything was done just right. You could just see the deep love between mother and daughter. I love Shellie so much; her positive attitude has remained even through some of her darkest hours of fighting this battle with cancer. In all my many conversations with her, I never remember her having self pity, she always makes the comment, "well, it could be worse." Yesterday, after coming out of the temple, she kept repeating, "I did it, I did it." This was one of the sweetest moments of my life, one that I will never forget!! I am eternally grateful for my membership in this church and I'm grateful I got to be present in the temple yesterday with Shellie and her family. I love you, Shellie!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

What an amazing thing! That's awesome that you could go with her to witness her special day!

Jenelle said...

What a sweet story, it is wonderful to beable to find such strenght in the Lord.

Nigbur Family said...

It truly does sound amazing. I agree that Shellie is one incredible person. My mom called and told me about it and all I could think is how blessed we are to be part of this gospel.

Jocelyn said...

So beautiful, Cind. I'm so glad she was able to go.

janna said...

I am so happy for her and her little family!
She is such a wonderful lady & friend too!

Greg and Wendy said...

My heart is so full of love for Shellie, her husband and little girls, though I have only met her on one occasion. I am once again in awe of a loving Heavenly Father that answers heartfelt prayers and lets us witness miracles which strengthen our faith. We are so blessed to know we can be together forever as families which brings such peace and eternal perspective in the face of death. So glad you could be there.