Friday, September 4, 2009

Priceless!

On our way to Nevada for my nephew, Zach's, farewell, we made a stop in Park Valley to see my grandparents. I had the privilege of growing up in this wonderful community and have so many great memories of my childhood there. I don't make it back very often but this was the perfect opportunity to visit with my grandparents and visit the home I grew up in where my cousin and his wife now live. It was so much fun wandering around the yard, barnyard, and house as all the memories came flooding back. I usually have such a terrible memory but for some reason I could remember details this time. Evidently, I bored my children to death with all of my stories because after a while, Regan says, "mom, sometimes kids just aren't interested in historical sites." I laughed so hard I about wet my pants..she's such a character sometimes!

How many kids really get to know their Great Grandparents? The picture of my kids with G&G Rose is worth billions of dollars to me. I couldn't help but have perma-grin while taking all these shots.

This is the house I grew up in (totally transformed) thanks to Bill and Amber. They've been in continuous remodel mode for past couple of years so the house has had a few coats of paint, walls have been ripped out, things have been gutted. It did my heart good to see the house being so well taken care of. Thanks, Bill and Amber! I'm so glad you live there. Regan and Morgan thought Grandpa's and Uncle Brent's saddle room was so neat!

Grandpa Rose sitting on my favorite green rock in our old yard. Great Grandpa and Kaleb hanging out on the cellar roof having a visit. Notice Kaleb in his cowboy boots and wranglers. He would wear them everyday if they didn't have to be washed occasionally. I get teary-eyed every time I look at this picture with my little boy and his Great Grandpa. I guess I'm getting sentimental in my old age!
We enjoyed a fun picnic with G&G Rose on their porch. Grandpa made sure the kids had a can of pop and some for the road. Grandma made sure the kids got ice cream bars, licorice, and animal crackers for the road.

Morg's tried climbing my favorite tree although I don't know why it's my favorite because I remember, like it was yesterday, getting home from a boating trip and all of us barfing our guts out underneath it.
Bill and Amber dropped what they were doing to saddle up the horses for the kids. You would've thought Kaleb had died and gone to heaven. He loves horses and just loved being out in the open, away from city life. He thinks he's a real cowboy! Morgan and Jordyn insisted on wearing jeans and their cowboy boots for the day as well. Regan informed me that she's a "city slicker" so she wouldn't be wearing her boots. Grandma Rose got a kick out of that one!
I took this picture, not necessarily of the kids playing on the swing set, but of the field behind them. This is where my parents planted our garden when I was little. I always wondered if it just seemed gigantic because I was a little kid weeding it but apparently not. It seemed just as big that day! I'm keeping this picture on our fridge to remind my kids how easy they have it when I ask them to go weed our little garden.

2 comments:

Jenelle said...

I feel at home just looking at the pictures. It's nice to be able to go back with such fond memories!

Greg and Wendy said...

This was a PRICELESS post, indeed! We called Grandma and Grandpa Rose on our way home this afternoon and Grandma had received your pictures. She was SO thrilled with them...they are priceless to THEM as well. Thank you so much for making the time to stop there and making it so easy on them (your providing of the picnic, etc.) The pictures will keep the memory alive for Grandma.
I'm so glad that lots of memories emerged as you actually had time to go see all of the old "historical sites!" (So glad you captured that funny for the future!) And by the way, the picture of Regan on the chair on the carport is absolutely stunning! All the pictures are treasures!