Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer....so far

We've been out of school for 17 days now and somehow it seems like it's been a month.  It's great having the kids home, even though we've been running our heads off since the moment school let out.  It's great doing things together and having all of us together in our home more often.  I knew we were busy during the school year but I don't think I realized until now just how little I see each of my kids when we're all involved with everything during the school year.  I won't lie, it's totally stressful having all 6 kids home because of the crazy amount of food I'm preparing each day, the piles of laundry that adorn our laundry room, the non-stop action of kids in and out of the house, kids in and out of the fridge, a billion pairs of unmatched shoes/flip flops all over our house, yard, garage, etc., the disgustingness of the bathroom (okay, that was a totally made up word but that's the best way to describe the condition of our bathroom), and the list goes on but in spite of all that, I really do love summer break.  I love my kids and I love being together.  This is what we've been up to together:


*  Free 3 day tennis camp at Bonneville High School-I signed Regan, Morgan, and Jordyn up and as a bonus, Kaleb got to participate the last 2 days.  You should have seen the smile on his face when one of the coaches came and asked him if he'd like to play. 
*  summer reading program at the library-even though the prizes are a little lame, my kids are still motivated to read during the summer and look forward to our weekly trips to the library.  We went to the library last Wednesday and came home with 45 books. Jordyn checked out 12 of the 45 and by Saturday she was begging me to take her back to the library for more.  I enlisted her help in reading to Kaleb since I'm having a hard time getting all the little ones read to.  Thank goodness for little helpers!
*  The girls participated in piano duet festival and all ended up with really great scores. Jordyn and Morgan played two songs together and scored a 99% between the two.  Morgan played again with her partner Kylee Andrus and between their two songs, they scored a 99%.  Regan and Lindee played together and scored a 98%.  Once the older girls get 8 lessons in, they get a small break from piano.  Jordy isn't so fortunate, she's still new in piano so she'll take all summer.  They are all preparing new songs for their summer recital in July. 
*  Swimming lessons-  Lessons are bright and early in the morning at 8:30 and everyone but Regan is taking.  We have 3 lessons left and the kids have been troopers, even enduring some pretty yucky weather days (43 degrees to be exact and yes, it is an outdoor pool) Aaahhh, I felt like such a jerk, there I was decked out in my winter attire and their are all of my little ones in their swim suits and flip flops hopping in to the pool looking at me like I am one crazy mother.  Thank goodness the weather decided to cooperate the next day and actually made it to a whopping 65 degrees--Idaho weather is the BEST (in my best sarcastic voice)  For the record, I plan to sign the kids up next year for this exact time--even though the weather has been questionable, the class sizes are so small--no more than 4 to a class with 2 teachers.  Can't beat that! 
This is our 3rd year participating in the free camp and my kids love it!  If I could fit it in the schedule I think I might consider signing them up for a round of tennis lessons.  Now if I could only find the time.
 

Our ward held the father-son outing a couple of weeks ago at Sealander Park just a few mile out of town.  It was a perfect overnighter for the boys with dad, perfect weather, yummy food, smores, scavenger hunt, outdoor movie, games, etc.  Kaleb and Porter couldn't have been more excited to have a camp out with DJ.  It was all they talked about for a whole month before it actually happened.  They had a great time and the boys came home looking and smelling just like I had anticipated--s'more covered faces, grimy clothes, bonfire smell, and big smiles pasted on their faces--I wouldn't have it any other way!  And, DJ said they slept awesome, and he knows, because he was up all night:)  He'd enjoy camping if it weren't for the nights!


1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Yeah, so much for those lazy days of summer, huh?! :)