Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Uruguay Presentation

Last Tuesday, the 3rd grade classes at Fairview invited parents to come and give presentations on different countries around the world.  Morgan came home with her paper in hand excited to ask DJ if he'd present on Uruguay since this is where he served his mission.  I thought it was so cute because at the very top of the handout, she had penciled in "PLEASE" which made me realized just how much this meant to her.  I'm so glad that DJ was able to rearrange his work schedule so he could be there because Morgan was pretty proud of her dad!  In fact, she kept drilling him in the weeks before to make sure he was preparing and most importantly that he had the "Dulce De Leche" (yummy caramelized sweetened condensed milk treat) prepared.  
DJ did such a good job with the kids and kept their attention most of the time which can be pretty hard to do when you are dealing with kids this age.  He gave 6, 25 minute presentations to small groups of kids and a teacher, and I got to be his assistant.  Actually, my only job was to dish up the Dulce De Leche and serve it to the kids--I was fine with that job!   I think DJ enjoyed himself other than when all was said and done he made the comment that he was just plain tired and needed a nap but unfortunately he still had to drive to the college and teach his college students.  He says he better stick with teaching at the college level because the younger ones just wear him out.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun spending time with DJ prior to the presentation looking at all of his old mission photos, reading through a few of his journals, and hearing him talk about the 2 years he spent in this neat country.  Missions are a blessing in so many ways and I hope each of my kids get the opportunity to serve.  I know this much, I'm looking forward to someday serving as a couple! 

3 comments:

Brooke said...

That's awesome that DJ got to do that! I am sure my kids would love to have that experience, unfortunately I don't think our schools are that awesome... :)

Greg and Wendy said...

From the expressions on his face, I believe DJ was having a ball! I would love to have watched Morgan's face as he presented to her group...priceless, I am sure!

Seth and Natalie said...

That's pretty neat! It's good of Morgan to want her dad there so bad, I love the "Please" on the top of her paper. And I bet you made the best Vanna White, even if all you did was hand out treats :)