Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First day of school!

On the way to the big first day of school!

 





The kids started school on Monday and all were excited to go back (including me)! I know that sounds mean but after a really busy and great summer, I am just ready for a little routine and structure again. And, the kids were starting to fight and nit pick at each other so it was good for all involved. They were all so excited about the first day. They had their clothes picked and layed out, their backpacks were all ready to go by the door and a couple of them had a hard time falling asleep. I went down to check on everyone at 10:00 and Jordyn and Kaleb were fast asleep but Morgan had snuck in to Regan's room and there they were laying in bed visiting about the day to come. The morning went great and everyone was out the door and on the bus in good time except for Kaleb because he's a Kindergartener and they don't bus them until the 2nd week of school. He was rearing to go and practically pushing me in to the van at 8:00. He's so excited about his teacher, Mrs. Schuster. She used to be our music teacher at the school but unfortunately the music program was one of the programs cut last year so she applied for the job of Kindergarten teacher and she is AWESOME!!! Jordyn is in 2nd grade this year and has been excited all summer for her new year with Mrs. Funke. She's in our Stake and she often attends the children's baptisms that are in her class so Jordyn has already invited her to her baptism in October and is quite sure she'll attend.:) Jordyn spent much of her summer reading and was constantly begging to go to the public library. She's so excited for the AR program at the school and is hoping that she'll pass her 200 points that she earned in 1st grade. Morgan is in 4th grade this year and has Mrs. Jenkins for her teacher. She's also in our Stake and just a really great lady. I'm excited for Morgan because she has some of her good buddies in her class this year finally. Of all of our kids, she's pretty content to be on her own but I can tell that she's excited to have some kids to hang out with that she knows really well. Morgan does really well in school and also loves to read, in fact, she finished the whole Percy Jackson series this summer and she's rearing to go with the AR program again this year. I'm excited to see what this school year will bring for Morgan! Regan is in 8th grade this year and every time I say it out loud I get shivers up and down my spine. It's crazy that we'll have a High Schooler next year. Regan was so excited to go back to school and was much more relaxed than last year at this time. She's got a great group of girls that she hangs around with and the fact that she's figured the middle school scene out, helps a lot. Oh, and one of her best friend's, Lindee Andrus, transferred over from the Charter school to Rocky Mountain this year so she and Regan have spent the whole summer talking and planning out their year together!! I'm sure it will be another busy year for her between her involvement in sports and her busy schedule which includes some honor's classes.

Saturday evening, DJ gave the kids blessings in preparation for the school year. I'm thankful for the Priesthood that he holds and grateful that he's such a caring father. It was so cute because after he gave the 4 kids blessings, Porter ran right up and plopped himself up on the chair for his blessing. He was not going to be left out. Kami was being a grump so she didn't care to have one but the kids all thought it was so cute and Porter was just beaming. I think one of the kids asked DJ when he'd get his blessing for school and when would he be having his back to school night for his Doctorate Program? :):)

I stole my sister-in-law, Sara's idea of interviewing her kids after the first day of school so this is what they had to say:
Kaleb: I love it, mom. I gave my teacher hugs. She's nice. We went to recess and then we got locked out so the duty had to call Mrs. Schuster. She saved the day and let us in. she used her walkie talkie. No kids said bad words, dad's blessing worked, MOM!! Have you seen my classroom? I feel like I've been here before. It's weird. We went to Mr. Lord's office. He's the principal and his name is Jason but I shouldn't call him that. We also went to the library and it was fun seeing all of the books. We didn't get to sit on the couch and my legs hurt and I was thirsty. There was no hard work, I'm SERIOUS mom! We just did lower case letters.

Jordyn- It was Mrs. Funke's B-Day and we got to have root beer floats! I don't have homework. I did spelling. We go to go in the loft and read. We did math and I ate my lunch. I played at recess 3 times. I was going to walk the track but I got a major thing, my hair got stuck in my dress but my friends kept pulling and pulling and finally it came out. I love my friend Alyssa. There are lots of new girls, TONS! We took them on a tour of the school. My favorite thing was the root beer floats. I won't get a stomach ache because I didn't drink too much. School is the best!

Morgan- I'm boy trapped in my classroom. I sit between Justin and Gage. I turned in my lunch money and we had to write a poem in cursive and print. We could say it aloud and get a kiss, not a kiss, but a good kind of kiss, the chocolate kind. You don't have to get in the reading bathtub if you don't want to but I really want to (Mrs. Jenkins has an old fashioned bathtub in her room and they call it the reading tub) You just have to ask to get in and you get to switch someone every 15 minutes. We're already working on Idaho History. Sebastion didn't do anything bad today. He was really good. Actually, Tanne broke Cassidy's colored pencil so she sharpened it and it was really tiny so we all laughed. I'm going to to really like 4th grade.

Regan- I didn't actually interview her but she came flying through the door declaring that 8th grade at RMMS is the best!! She loves all of her teachers and she's so excited because Lindee is in lots of her classes. She says she's way more organized than she was last year because she's got an awesome binder that she vows to keep clean and organized. She's already got plans to run for student government and to be involved in as much as possible. She also said told me that she wouldn't call the 7th graders "Sevies" because that drove her completely nuts last year.

Here's to another great school year!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

haha I love these interviews! Remind me to do this when my kids go to school! My favorites were Kaleb's whole interview- hilarious. And I LOVE that Morgan said that she got a "good kind of kiss", the chocolate kind. haha! Someday she'll think different huh!

Brooke said...

Awesome! It sounds like your kids are loving it! I hope you're enjoying the peace and quiet of only having a couple at home!

Greg and Wendy said...

I loved all their interviews! Always remember to do this! I have no favorites as they were all so heartfelt! But I LOVE the fact that Porter wanted a blessing and I do hope that DJ asks for a blessing so the kids can see it is just as important for adults! Now back-to-school night...that is funny!

Jocelyn said...

Oh my gosh, I love these kids. What awesome memories they are making!

I've got to remember to do some interviews with my kids. They'll love being able to read it in their own words!

Reg looks gorgeous!