Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Memories of my Grandpa and Grandma Rose

I have tender feelings when I think about Grandma and Grandpa Rose. I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend quite a few of my childhood years living just down the road from them. As a result, I remember spending many hours with grandma helping her with various things, playing with my cousins, working in her yard, eating all of her yummy cooking, watching her busily working around her house and yard, sneaking candy out of her candy dishes, watching movies in her living room, sleeping at her house, watching her rake her carpet (yes, she used an actual rake on her orange shag carpet), pretending for hours with my cousins, listening to grandma hum as she worked (I'm still not sure whether this was due to her tracheotomy or just a habit, but I loved it! My grandma was a hard worker and good at everything she did. She was a fantastic cook, she loved to work in her yard, she loved to quilt, garden, sew, and many more things. Most importantly, she had and still has a powerful testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the reality of eternal families. I always felt of her love and her desire that each one of us do everything possible so we would all be able to return back to our Heavenly Father. I'll always love and appreciate my grandma's example of righteous living. She loved the Gospel and was dedicated to serving the Lord. She was always anxiously engaged in the work and I never remember hearing her complain about her many responsibilities. I know that she played a big part in helping me gain my own testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel because of her positive example. I love you Grandma, and appreciate all that you have taught and will continue to teach me and my children.


It's not very often that children get to grown up in the same town as their grandparents. I was one of the lucky ones. I have many fond memories of times I spent with grandpa while working on the ranch with my dad and siblings. From a very early age, my grandpa taught me the value of hard work and he lived it through work and example. He was passionate in the things he did and I had complete faith in his ability to accomplish anything he had before him. I always knew and felt of grandpa's love for me, in fact, I'm sure I thought I was his favorite. Some of my fondest memories of grandpa involve the times we were together as a large family where he would express his love for each one of us and how he was so proud of all the good things we were accomplishing. He always expressed his deep desire that each one of us hold fast to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and shared his testimony of forever families and his desire that each one of us do everything possible to make this happen. Because of his powerful testimony, my own testimony of these same principles grew and I remember having the distinct feeling that I didn't want to do anything that would cause me to be separated from this wonderful family. To this day, I look forward to visiting with Grandpa and I'll always appreciate his kind words, his council, his compliments, and his sincere expressions of love to me. I love you, Grandpa!




I saw this quote at the nursing home where my Grandma is and I just loved it! 

3 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

Thank you for remembering and sharing all the wonderful memories of Grandma and Grandpa Rose! We all have so much to live up to. And none of us want to be a weak link in the family chain, do we? What motivation to do our very best!

Jocelyn said...

I love this so much, Cin. We are so blessed.

Lindsay said...

These are so neat Cindy! I've loved reading all of your memories!