Monday, October 10, 2011

BYU-Idaho Temple to Temple Relay

The week after our ward trek to the temple, DJ and I got to participate in the Temple to Temple relay put together by BYU-I.  DJ has participated for a couple of years now with some his buddies at work.  I was so excited when they decided to have their wives join in the fun!  The race involved around 65 teams ranging from 2 to 8 man and consisted of mainly BYU-I students but their were several alumni teams and a few faculty teams like ours.  The relay was a total of 26 miles so we were especially glad that ours was an 8 man team:)  DJ ran a 7 mile leg and I ran a 4 1/2 mile leg and we both felt pretty darn good, in fact, I think we clocked our best times ever!  Our team ended up taking 9th out of 65 teams!!  It was so much fun spending the morning with DJ's co-workers and their wives.  They are such neat people and it was especially fun to drive to the exchange zones and cheer everyone on as they headed off for their leg of the race.  I was extremely happy when one of our team members and his wife pulled up along side of me while I was running and offered me a bottle of water.  I took them up on it and proceeded to dump the whole thing on my head.  Did I mention that it was stinking hot by the time it was my turn to run.  Oh, I also forgot to mention that DJ handed off to me at our church building and my leg of the race went right by the our street so the kids came up to cheer me on and then hopped in with DJ to come and cheer me on.  They were all yelling, "c'mon mom, you can pass him."  Guess what, I didn't ever pass the guy they wanted me to pass but their cheering me on kept me going!  I loved every minute of this day, probably because I was with my hubby doing something together that we both love to do!  OH, and seeing the college students having such a ball together made me smile as well. Before we know it, that will be Regan!  Anyway, another great activity to teach the importance of working your hardest to make it to the temple.  It isn't always easy but it is obtainable! 


2 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

It is a great analogy. These activities along with others based around the temple keep it upper-most in your minds and in the minds of your kids. I think you are so blessed to have DJ working at BYUI with such great people. So glad you had a day to go and be with him and those he works with. Great job!!!!

Brooke said...

Man, I wish we could be that close to two temples! I've driven between the two temples, but it would be awesome to run it (if I were in better shape). I love reading about your healthy active family, we need to do better about that! :) Thanks for being so inspirational!