Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bifocals at age 9?

Yes, apparently so.  Jordyn has had reading glasses for over a year now and has continued to complain of her eyes hurting, burning, itching, etc.  I have to admit that I didn't think too much about it for a while. She'd just gotten glasses a few months before which were supposed to help quite a bit and she's done awesome in school and hasn't ever complained about not being able to see or any of the usual complaints.  Towards that last part of last year, she really started complaining so we set an appointment for the first of January and got her in to a new Eye Dr.  I'm so glad we did because it turns out that the poor girl has terrible vision.  In fact, the Dr. is amazed that she's such a good student and just kept telling me that she must be one determined child (that she is)!  Anyway, after spending close to 2 hours in the office, dilating and waiting, dilating with stronger drops and waiting some more, etc., the mystery was solved.  The results: she inherited her dad's bad eyes:  right eye 20/60, left eye 20/80.  Poor bad right eye has been doing all the work for the poor, bad left eye that is nearly blind.  So, instead of putting her in the full prescription right now, the Dr. thought it would be a good idea to sort of ease her in to it by putting her in Bifocals.  Never heard of a nine year old in Bifocals but apparently they do it quite a bit especially in cases like this.  Anyway, Jordyn is soooo excited about her new frames with purple and pink butterflies on the sides.  She's adjusted beautifully and seems happier about life in general (maybe because she can see:):)

Side note, completely off the subject but you see the nice new sewing machine in the background. Yep, that's what my parents gave me for Christmas and I'm giddy with excitement. I actually repaired a skirt that has been ripped for 3 years and I'm taking the waist in on another skirt today that Jordyn has wanted to wear for the longest time.  I in no way claim to know how to sew but I'm determined to learn with a little help from my mom and sisters and good old internet. Morgan and I spent an hour browsing the internet for fun beginner sewing projects and came up with a few really cute and simple things.  Morgan has begged for a sewing machine and lessons for years so she's going to be the one to push me along!  Okay, that was totally random but just thought I would mention it since it happened to be in the background!

2 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

She looks so dang cute in her new glasses! That is crazy her eyes are so bad at such a young age. Dang it! I am excited about your new sewing machine, I love to sew! I'm not good at it, but I love it. If she really wants to learn to sew you should sign her up for 4-H, it's really fun.

Greg and Wendy said...

Jordyn looks absolutely adorable in her new glasses! Wow! I don't see dark circles under her eyes...are they really gone?

And...in what room did you set up your machine? We're so happy you're so happy with it! Can't wait to see the end result of some of the projects you found to do!