Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Competitions, Marathon's, and scrambled eggs!

On Friday and Saturday, Regan had the opportunity to participate in the Eastern Idaho Music Association's 2010 Piano Competition.  This is her first year ever to participate in something like this and despite the nerves, she was happy to participate.  The theme was Chopin/Schumann since it was the 200th anniversary of their births--the music was beautiful and had Kamryn captivated from start to finish.  Talk about some talented kids!  They have preliminaries the evening before where they narrow it down to 2 kids in each division along with a 1st Alternate Honorable Mention.  Regan played her song beautifully both in the preliminaries and in the finals and won her division!  She was so excited and kept saying afterward how grateful she is for an amazing piano teacher!  Ellen has spent many extra hours in the past few weeks helping Regan prepare for this competition and it definitely paid off.  Thanks Ellen and Congrats to Regan! 

Did you know you have approximately 700 muscles in your body?  I didn't before the race, but I do now.  I know because every single one aches!!  I completed the Just Cuz 1/2 Marathon in Pocatello on Saturday.  It wasn't pretty, but I did it.  I sure hope no one captured the shear look of pain on my face that was evident for a good 8 miles of the race.  Despite the pain, it was an amazing feeling to cross the finish line knowing that I ran 13.1 miles w/out stopping.  I know that sounds dumb but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time so I'm glad I did!  The course was harder than I had imagined with some hills that I wasn't prepared for but the weather was gorgeous and the scenery was beautiful and the costumes were rather entertaining.  The race was supposed to be cowboy themed so they encouraged us to dress up.  Not me, I just enjoyed laughing at every ones costumes and thankfully I wasn't the only one not dressed up for the occasion. Anyway, running 13.1 miles allows one some time to think so I made some discoveries about myself #1- I'm not a runner in the true sense of the word, not that I ever thought of myself as one, but I just realized that if you want to be really serious about it, it takes a heck of a lot of training and focus and discipline---I need to focus my energy on my kids so although it would've been nice to be a bit more physically prepared for the race, I'm glad I didn't take a lot of time away from my family to accomplish it.  #2- I'm wimpy!  I hate side aches and leg cramps--they hurt!  #3- I still love to run and I want to do another 1/2 marathon sometime in the very near future but if I'm being really honest with myself, I probably won't prepare any more for it than I did this one.  #4- My main purposes for running is so that I can eat whatever I want, it allows me a few minutes alone, and I just feel good after running!

Now for the scrambled eggs.....yesterday morning the babies were begging to have some eggs but I was busy getting kids off to school, cleaning up the morning mess, etc. so I ignored them.  BIG mistake!  Porter decided to take matters in to his own hands and attempted to make himself a batch of scrambled eggs ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR!!  The mess was awful!!  I was amazed at how much goop came from 4 tiny eggs and what a huge sticky mess it created in a short amount of time.  Kami denied any involvement by pointing her innocent fingers at "PO PO" so I'm still not sure exactly what went down but Porter was one proud kid until he saw the look on my face.  From now on, all eggs will be kept in the fridge outside.  Lesson learned!

On to another Marathon.  IFYAC's Fall Production of Willy Wonka opens Friday night!  Yes, the big night for Jordyn has almost arrived.  Here is what our Marathon schedule looks like for the next 11 days:
Monday:  5:45-11:00 p.m.
Tuesday:  6-11 Dress Rehearsal
Wed. 6-11- Dress Rehearsal
Thurs. 6-11 Dress Rehearsal
Friday- morning school performance from 8:30 until 11:00 and then opening night!
Saturday- matinee plus evening performance
Sunday-  Day of rest (literally) and bless her heart, she will be resting!
Mon.- evening performance
Tues.- evening performance
Wed. Closing night
Thurs. Cast party
She's exhausted but I think the show is going to be pretty awesome!  Last night was their first night in the Colonial Theater and it was pretty cute to see the excitement on Jordyn's face when she looked around at where she'll be performing.  I'm just hoping that adrenaline gets her through this whole experience because she is one tired little girl!

6 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

What an amazing pianist Reagyn is. That is so great she won, I wish I could have heard her. And you are just amazing to have ran that 1/2 marathon at all. Although I am curious about your time. I actually really dislike running and only do it so I don't get too flabby. What a great reason.

I left Dax alone for 5 minutes today and found him mopping the bathroom floor with Rylee's barbie he had dipped in the toilet. That made quite a mess too. Probably not as gooey as the eggs but just as gross.

Lindsay said...

Wow wow wow! Wow to you for completing a marathon! Wow to Reagan for doing such an amazing job with her pian comp! And wow to jordyn for putting in all those hours! What a talented family!

Greg and Wendy said...

I was so proud of Regan. She played so beautifully! She is naturally gifted but that is useless without a wonderful teacher and a great deal of time and effort to polish a piece. Success is so motivating! Keep it up, Regs!
Have your muscles loosened up yet, Cin? We are in awe of your gumption! Loved your honest analysis of reasons for running.
As for the egg fiasco, you appear to have a budding chef on your hands! Better get him a pan next time, though!
We are exhausted for Jordy! Poor little thing, but we are so excited for see the show Friday night! Hope she can sleep most of the day on Sunday.

Christie said...

Amazing Cindy!!!! Good Look Jordy, you are going to be amazing!!! Reg, you are a talented little chic. You go girls!!!!

Jaedon Flora said...

Cindy I am so amazed. Congratulations on your 1/2 marathon, your marathon with 6 kids, and for being so amazing. I love you and miss you.
Tisha

Jocelyn said...

I'm so happy for Regan!!! She's awesome -- that is something to really be proud of. Way to go, Regs!

Jordy -- hope she gets some rest in between her crazy schedule. What a cool experience.

YOU -- what was your time? You'd be proud, I ran every day on our trip (but only 2-3 miles). I still pretty much hated it, though, and think you and Lori and Matt are all awesome for actually enjoying running. And you're awesome -- 13.2 miles is a LONG distance.

Porter -- Yikes. Mess. Thank goodness for outside freezers.

I miss you.