Friday, December 4, 2009

Family History Friday

On what date were you married?
December 27, 1995

What are your memories of that day?
It was really a wonderful day. I still can't believe we chose to be married 2 days after Christmas. My poor mom & mother-in-law! How they ever pulled that one off, I'll never know. But I'll be forever grateful. I will never forget the feeling I had being in the temple with DJ and so many of our family members & close friends. It truly was a little slice of heaven on earth! I feel so fortunate because both sets of my grandparents were there and my Grandpa Johnson performed our sealing. Though I can't recall a lot of what he said, I can remember the spirit that was in the room while he spoke, it was so strong. I have always had a lot of respect for my Grandpa and specifically appreciated the great amount of love and respect he always showed my grandma so it meant a lot to me to have him perform our sealing. We were married in the Salt Lake Temple two days after Christmas on a very cold day. We had our wedding luncheon at the Chuck-A-Rama, yes, you read that right. The food was really great, just wish they didn't have to call it by that name. DJ and I have chuckled about this over the years and when we attend other wedding luncheons at "upscale" restaurants, DJ almost always makes the comment, "the food was WAY better at Chuck-A-Rama." Anyway, funny thing is, we had our wedding luncheon before we got married, just worked out better that way because of the time we had set in the temple for our sealing. I remember waiting for DJ at the restaurant thinking he'd be at least a few minutes early, after all, all of our guests were already there. No…he was there right on time. He had an eye appointment across town to get new contacts and had allotted just enough time to arrive at the luncheon right on time. He wasn't stressed one bit…I was because I grew up with a dad that made sure we arrived to everything at least 15 minutes and if it was any less than that, we were late. At any rate, I was happy to see him and we enjoyed a fun meal visiting with family and friends and then we were off to the temple as mentioned above. Once we got out of the temple, it was late afternoon and the weather was beautiful but really cold so we hurried to get pictures with the family. Everyone was sweet to hang around while we did the whole picture routine. I love looking back at pictures of this day because my nose is red and DJ has his shoulder's slightly shrugged with his hands tucked in his pockets in most of the pictures. He was one handsome guy in a Tux, and still is!

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

UpChuck-A-Rama really did have great food.

Loved that cold, cold day.

janna said...

Post a picture, please

We had our luncheon at norths chuckwagon
j norths in the later years before it went out of business

Greg and Wendy said...

It was a wonderful day and we were so glad the luncheon was before as you were not sealed until 3:00pm! We got some great pictures that day especially considering how cold it was! You were a beautiful couple then and even more beautiful now with those 6 wonderful kids! We have commented a couple of times in the last few weeks how glad we are that DJ didn't stick to his little hangup about not wanting to get married before his two older brothers! haha

Greg and Wendy said...

Hey, I just realized you missed posting about your courtship and engagement! Come one...we're waiting!