Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Polar Bear Swim Team

Jordyn has been begging us to put her on a swim team for the longest time so we finally decided that we could squeeze it in during the winter months when the other kids were on a small break from all of their activities!  We always do swim lessons in the summer but I decided that since I was already making a trip to the Aquatic Center, I might as well put the other kids in lessons at the same time!  Lucky me, I was able to get the 3 younger kids in lessons right during swim team and then, being the sneaky mom I am, I decided to throw Morgan on the same swim team since she was on a small break from soccer.  She was not too thrilled about it in the beginning, and it certainly isn't her favorite thing to do, but I think Morgan and Jordyn had a fun time being on the team together and it kept us all together (minus Regan) in the same place at the same time!!  Jordyn, on the other hand, just ate it up!  I think we might have found something that she really loves and that she's pretty darn good at!
Swim team lasted for 6 weeks with 2 practices a week, an hour and half each with one big swim meet at the end.  It was amazing to watch how much both girls improved with the strokes and they had so much more strength and stamina as the weeks went on.  I never thought I'd get too in to swimming but I really enjoyed watching them each practice and the swim meet was so much fun!  Jordyn had one of her major stomachache attacks right during the meet so she was feeling less than good during her events but she still did really good considering.  Morgan did really well too, it just kills me how athletic this kid is.  She is good at everything she does but just lacks the confidence..:(  (except for in soccer) And, she claims that swimming is not her thing and informed me that she is done with swimming lessons all together.  That's alright with me, I'm pretty sure she's a way better swimmer than I've ever been so I guess she'll be fine!
As for the younger three, they absolutely loved swimming lessons and were pretty bummed when their sessions ended!  They had really great teachers and they significantly improved during the 4 weeks.  I'm super happy and relieved that I won't have to try to cram swimming lessons in during the summer with all the other activities and family stuff we've got going on!  We'll be doing swimming lessons in February next year for sure!!





No comments: