Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Goodbye Middle School, Hello High School (Gulp)

I was just looking back at all the pictures I've taken this year and realizing how few I took of Regan  (her 8th grade year) I say few because in comparison with years past, it really is a few.  This school year has gone by crazy fast and in just a few months I'll send my first one off to High School.  A few weeks ago, we attended freshmen orientation and got her schedule figured out.  She stuck to my side like glue the entire time, I literally had to peel her off because she was making me hot:):) You know, with the on set of old age I'm experiencing hot flashes already I guess.:) Or maybe it had to do with the fact that as I walked the High School halls, I was having flashbacks of my high school days which weren't excruciating but they certainly weren't the most joyous days of my life.  Anyway, I'm sure she'll settle right in after the first few days just like she has in middle school.  It's just a whole different ball game because we are planning for the future now; what courses to take, where she'd like to go to college, what she'd like to study, etc.  Thank goodness she pretty much the ideal teenage daughter, she's sweet, helpful, obedient  kind, talented, humble, gracious, patient, especially with a mother that repeatedly makes mistakes:(  I feel bad a lot because being our first, we naturally expect more from her and we've certainly made our share of mistakes in our parenting over the years....actually I really think I've messed up more times than not, so I have to hand it to her for being so patient with us! At the risk of making her sound perfect, she's not, she does her fair share of complaining, she still fights with her siblings, and she occasionally doesn't love the advice DJ and I give her:) but one thing that I love about Regan is that she'll always come back and apologize and it generally doesn't take her too long...I'm pretty sure she didn't get this quality from me! 
 

Regan with one of her best buddies, Lindee (They had the opportunity in February to play 2 duets at the Idaho Falls Music Club Centennial Celebration at the Colonial Theater.  They were pretty excited when they realized these seats were reserved for them:) 


Regan and Todd (the two oldest cousins on my parents side)  Todd is just a month and a half younger than Regan and these guys are good buds! I don't think either of them were too comfortable having their picture taken together.

I had to slide this picture in because it's important to note that Regan has finally realized the value of sleep.  As an infant and toddler, Regan spent too many hours awake, in fact, I think she finally slept through the night at age "3".  I remember wanting to pull my hair out and D.J. and I trying everything we could possibly think of to get her to sleep through the night.  She's struggled with sleep off and on until the last few years and finally, this year, she's decided that sleep is a beautiful thing!  Hallelujah!
 
This was taken after her season of basketball.  I don't think basketball is her favorite but she definetly improved through the season!

Mom and Regan posing in our Christmas jammies we always get from Great Grandpa and Grandma Rose--a little wild, but hey, they were stinking warm!

A girls date at the Mystique Theater in Pocatello with the Andrus girls!  We went to see Saturday's Warrior and it was awesome--not the slightest bit cheesey!:)
 
Regan having a little bit of fun with her favorite Hunger Games characters (she's never seen the movie but a girl can dream, right?  I love Todd in the background sticking his tongue out!
Regan qualified for the 800 meter and the 1 mile at Districts.  She didn't place in the mile but got a personal best and she took 3rd place in the 800 meter.

    
This is one of the many wacky pictures that Regan took of herself.  I'm sure she'll be glad I added this in:) 

3 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

I really am having an "Elder and Sister Holland moment" right now! If I were in bed, the covers would be over my head hiding me from the reality that I have a grandchild going to high school!!!!!!! Yikes!!!! We certainly don't worry much about her, however, because her conscience works overtime! I'm so grateful she is so close to you and loves you so much. She'll make it...I'm so glad she has Lindee. A friend with the same standards is so important during these years. Love that girl and we are so proud of her! Such cute pictures of her. My, Todd is getting so tall, isn't he?

Lindsay said...

I can't believe Regan is this old. She is gorgeous and with that personality, I'm sure she'll excel through high school. Good luck!

Amy said...

She is going to HIGH SCHOOL??? AH!!! That is so crazy. Best of luck to her and YOU :)