Friday, March 12, 2010

continuing Hawaii

Day #3- Pearl Harbor & Punchbowl Cemetery
Pearl Harbor is one of those places that I've always wanted to visit so I was grateful that we had the opportunity to spend as much time there as we did. We first took a ferry boat out to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial which was a really humbling and sacred experience especially as we viewed the huge wall at the end where all the names of the Americans who lost their lives that day were engraved. It was so sad to look down and view the remains of this Battleship and think about these men that lost their lives that day. We took the ferry boat back and then caught a bus over to the Battleship Missouri where we had a 30 minute guided tour and then wandered around on our own. That is quite an experience to walk through the halls of the ship where these men once made their home. I have to admit I got a little claustrophobic and was glad when we made our way out to the light of day. But, I learned so much and I'm so grateful that I had this opportunity.


Next we made our way to the Punchbowl Cemetery which is really a beautiful area but so sad to see all of the thousands of headstones lining the grass as well as the thousands of names engraved on the walls as you head up the long set of steps leading up to the monument. We took a hike up the path above the Cemetery to the lookout point.
In the evening we did more walking up and down Waikiki which was both relaxing and alarming. It's such a pretty place but so crowded by hundreds of people walking the streets and some people doing any thing they possibly can to make a buck. We saw the strangest guy dressed in a suit, top hat, glasses, etc., spray painted silver from head to toe standing as still as a statue with a collection bucket at his feet. If you looked too long at him he'd freakishly point his finger in the direction of the bucket so as to invite you to donate. You have to wonder about some people!! Other than that, it was just fun to wander in and out of the hotels, checking out all the shops and live entertainment that was available.

More Hawaii to come!

6 comments:

Jenelle said...

LUCKY!!!!! looks so warm and so fun, glad you got a chance to get away.

Greg and Wendy said...

Amazing pictures! We're so glad you and DJ were able to go and experience all of this beauty (along with a well-deserved rest!). Thanks for posting the pics so we could enjoy them, too.
Love,
Dad

Seth and Natalie said...

There are so many neat things to do there, but it is a little overwhelming. Let's face it, I get overwhelmed in Idaho Falls. That's so neat you got to go to Pearl Harbor, on of their boats was broke down the day I went so we just looked through the museum. It must have been a little chilly on your tour, I notice you're wearing a jacket. At least it wassn't a fleece coat!

Christie said...

Hawaii is one of my favorites!!! I love it everytime we go, I love landing there and walking of the plane and the smell, it always smells like flowers to me. I'm so happy you got to go, now you have to plan a trip to Kauii, it is paradise!!!

Jocelyn said...

Pearl Harbor is just so neat. And I haven't been to the USS Missouri. I would like to see it now that you described it!
Punchbowl Cemetery, weirdly, is one of my favorite places to visit. It's so pretty and serene, and even sacred. Love that place.

Also, the silver guy is a staple of Honolulu. And Las Vegas. The Honolulu guy has taunted us more than once -- more than just a point down to his bucket!
When you think about it, isn't it totally cool that he's out trying to make a living with what is actually a pretty impressive talent?! Waikiki is sort of a love-hate place for me, but mostly love.
Oh, and Christie's right -- Kuaui is so so beautiful, although Oahu is my fave.

Loving your pictures and recaps so much!!!

Stacy said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. The pictures are amazing and now with the snow, I bet you wish you were there. : )